Saturday, March 20, 2010

Being a Mom

Yesterday one of my friends posted on her facebook account that she wished at that moment she was not a mom. I have thought about my own moments of wondering what am I doing? Being a parent is in my opinion the hardest job there is. It is emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually draining at times. Then there are the times that you could never be more proud to be a parent. Well we seem to be having a lot of days where I am just totally and utterly exhausted in all those areas, by the end of the day.
Chandler lately seems to go from one mood to the next in an instant. His new thing is telling me about five times a day that he is going to run away, when I tell him no to something. Most of the time I let him go up to his room to pack up his laundry hamper (give him a little cool off time) then I go up and try to talk some sense into him. The last few days he has gotten outside and started to run away. I have slowly walked after him and he ends up running back inside. Yesterday he managed to lock me out of the house twice after getting him back inside(could have sworn the keys were in my pocket). That was not too much fun, considering Wesley was inside crying and Chan wouldn't open the door. Note to self hide a house key outside somewhere. But he is the best big brother, always looking out for his little brothers and sister. He will ask Spencer what he did in preschool and what Lexie and Wesley did while Spence is at school. He is doing great with his speech, we can have a whole conversation and I can understand everything he says. So that is a big improvement over just a few months ago. He is a mystery to everyone at school. They did testing on him last month and were blown away by some of the scores that he was getting...so obviously he is learning more than he lets on.
What can I say about Spence he is one active, busy kiddo. A few weeks ago Lexie and him decided that they would decorate my family room carpet with a full can of Nesquik and cool whip smudged together. I used three different cleaners and there is still a big brown spot. Then last week we ran into Sam's just really quick, so I put Lex and Wesley in the front and Spence in the basket. I turned around to see where Chan was and felt Wesley's carrier start to fall. I caught his carrier before it got too far, but couldn't catch Spence and he fell straight on his head. So we spent the evening in the E.R., thankfully we have awesome friends that meet me and took my other three kiddos. He ended up with a mild concussion, so we have to keep an eye on him for two weeks and try to keep him from having another big fall. When the doctor told me that I had to smile, how was I suppose to keep this kid from doing anything climbing related for two weeks?
It has been nice weather here the last few days, so we have spent all day long outside. Maybe I can keep Lexie and Spencer out of too much trouble if we are outside. I have to keep reminding myself that I can't expect a two and three year old to not get curious and try science experiments on my carpet. Like I have stated before if they are awake and I want to take a shower..gotta expect a mess when I get out. At the end of the day it is the hugs, kisses, and smiles that make it all worthwhile. My kids may at times look quite unkept and unorderly, but they are kids none the less having fun. May 1st can not come quick enough, when Nate no longer has to work six days a week until late. The kids will enjoy actually seeing their dad for more than two minutes.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

oh you pool thing... i hope that was the last time you were locked outside of your own house... kids can be pretty creative with what they come up with to annoy their parents.

It's near the end of March, May will surely come, hang in there, Jill.

Safire said...

Sounds rough! Hope you find a way to hide a key outside. :)

Chamberlains said...

Oh Jill. I seriously love and miss you. I enjoy reading your posts. They ground me. No matter what my trials, someone somewhere else has some crazy trials too. Just think how much grief you can give these kids later for what they owe you! It's so hard some days. You feel like you say "no" and yell more than anything, but aren't they so sweet with the hugs and kisses and WHEN THEY'RE SLEEPING!!!