Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Being an Example

I meant to post this a few days ago, and it never happened. Well we had our first negative expereince in regard to the kids around the area. On Sunday we had the living room window open and Chandler and Spencer love to look out and talk to kids that are in the playground right in front of our house. Well Chandler was saying kind of loudly hello, so that they could hear him. Chandler gets excited and so he starts to talk fast, so his speech problems are more pronounced. Well they started laughing and calling him names, names that Chan has never heard, so he didn't know they were putting him down. To make matters worse was that there was an adult out there with them laughing at the names that they were calling him. Luckily for the adult out there, Nate was the one that heard them saying this and closed the window. If I had heard that I would have walked out there myself and given that adult a piece of my mind. I don't now this person, but it made me think what kind of adult would make fun of a five year old boy trying to say hello and be friendly? It made me really think what kind of an example am I to my kids sometimes? I try really hard to show my kids that everyone is different from each other, and that is what makes us each special and individuals. I realize that there are going to be issues with children in school, bullies are always around. Hopefully I can teach my kids tolerance and love for one another. Sorry for getting on my soapbox here, this topic is one that is very sensitive to me. I hope that we all can try to be good examples for the kids in our lives.

4 comments:

Eric and Heather said...

That is so sad. I can't believe an adult would be so rude to participate in such a horrible thing. You are wonderful parents! Your example shows by the way your children are--the way they act, the things they say, etc.

Chamberlains said...

That so sad. I'm so sorry. I would've been right there with you and marched myself out to that adult. I agree, what a poor example. I hate the thought of Eden getting teased. I know it's going to happen, but it's the "momma bear" in us, I guess.

Our Family said...

It is so heart breaking to witness someone being mean to your child! I am so sorry that happened. Kudos to Nate for being such a great example!

MelSlater said...

There is nothing worse than seeing or hearing about your kids getting teased. I hate to admit that Nate and I are the same as you and Nate. I would have marched out there like you, and Nate would have shut the window. Funny how that is. All we can do is talk to our kids and be examples. You guys are great parents!