Sunday, July 11, 2010

Kindergarten graduation




This post has been a harder one for me to post. Chandler had a Kindergarten celebration on the last day of school June 16. It was a hard day for me, considering that we have decided to hold him back a year. We have decided that it would be best if Chandler had another year of Kindergarten to help with his speech, and reading. I had feelings that I had somehow failed as a parent with his reading and speech. For a long time he did not quite understand why he was going to be in Kindergarten again and have Mrs. T again. Now he actually tells people that he is going to be in Kindergarten again to help with his reading levels, so that makes me feel a little better. The whole month of July he has extended school year 5 days a week for 3 hours a day. He seems to really be enjoying it and actually asks if he is going today. It is great to see how excited he is to learn new things and he loves going to school. So the month of July is going to consist of me driving two hours a day to get him there and back. We have finished the first week and it isn't too bad driving him. It makes the day go by faster. It has been extremely hot the past few weeks, so it gets the kids out of the house for a little while a day.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

He's doing so great though, and it sounds like he's made huge improvements during the past year! I think it's hard for the oldest because they don't have an older sibling to look up to for help. I know the "guilt" feelings too. I feel that way about Aaron--I keep thinking that his delays are because he's the third child and we don't have as much time to spend with him like we do the others. But you just can't look at it that way--each and every one of them are their own person and will progress at different things at different rates (that's what I keep telling myself). I can't believe you have to drive for two hours a day--that's a lot of driving! Good luck!

RyanandKatie said...

Jill, I think you are doing the right thing. It is so hard to know as a parent if this is the best decision. I am so nervous for Hanna starting kindegarten it's nuts. What happened to the simple life? I think Heavenly Father gave you someone special like Chandler because He knows you are a terrific mother and person. I don't know if I could handle 2 hours of driving...WOW!